Thursday, December 30, 2010

the ongoing quest to conquer clutter

it's been a while since I was on this subject and seeing after Christmas our house suddenly collected more stuff and i am feeling so stuffed to the brim in this house I am ready to throw everything out or move. Seeing as moving is quite in the cards Just yet, I am yet again on the quest to conquer the clutter in my house, (and in my heart).

Things that come to mind are these 4 boxes 2 in the basement, 2 in the upstairs closet, they are full of winter stuff... mitts, hats, scarves, boots from when we lived in the mountains in quebec, everyday we would bundle ourselves up for the - 40degree treck to school. it was useful then but comeon' we live in Brampton, it's not exaclty that cold here... and seeing as I use the same pair of mitts everyday with the exception to my snowboarding gloves I think its time to donate them all to the homeless. I'm sure they could really use them this cold winter.

The second that comes to mind is the endless piles of clothes, the constant flow of laundry. I have recently dumped 5 garbage bags of clothes.. and there are still too many. Yesterday I tackled the linen closet, threw out the crap. and reorganized, it looks beautiful.

Closets and junk drawers... there are many messy, unorganized closets and drawers in this house and they all seem to go unnoticed. Many things that don't really have a place but get thrown in or tucked away into the abyss of mess never to be seen again. I love a beautifully organized closet. I look in Lukes and it is perfect, dressshirts all lined up perfectly hanging, suits (well sportsjackets) , ties, pants, sweaters, perfect - even down to his shoes all neatly lined up in a row. Then comes to mine, and every other closet - excluding the new organized linen closet - ABSOLUTE CHAOS... It seems I always overlook them becuse they seem like such a big job, I think.. no I KNOW this goes for the many 'junk drawers' i have also collected in nearly every room.. I think this is perhaps fear.. fear that keeps me from cleaning them all out.. becuase God uses such practicality to talk to me i'm afraid about what he might tell me a lot about in my own closets and junk drawers and do a deep cleaning and pitching out the trash that has collected. but i guess perhaps, after a season of cleaning, then rest... it is time to get back to some cleaning, organizing and simplifying in my own heart and life.

Lately something in me doesn't feel quite right. I think it is a mixture of my little babe getting so big, (he is walking now!) pregnancy hormones finally being gone and not being on the pill for the first time in 10 years, my hormones are going insane trying to figure out where they belong, my husbands job is quite stressful on him and he is doing his MBA right now which can get crazy, me going back to work in less than a week and something not feeling quite right in me, not settled, not happy.. I'm not sure exactly what but i have definitely been neglecting the work it out with God part of things. my heart has been battling with some ongoing stuff this year, well Luke and both have. A big part of me just wants to get up and move away, move on, never to look back. I know that isn't the right thing to do that's just like putting all the little things i have thrown in my junk drawers and closets but at the same time, I'm not really sure what to do with any of it. mm.. yah....anyways

Someone said to me this year it is a season of exposure, God has been doing a wonderful job at cleaning out my clutter. Though like my house main spaces are clear i think there are are many hidden spots still packed with juNK. Maybe its time to get to it.

No comments: